My pregnancy with Gus was difficult. I did fairly well the first two trimesters, except for the fact that there wasn't much that appealed to me in the way of food. At the end of my second trimester Steve, Tildy and I went to Sydney, Australia. I went for work and then took a week off for vacation. The flight home was very difficult, and upon my return, I was incredibly dehydrated and my blood pressure had gone up. Thus started my very long third trimester. It felt like every day that I didn't have to be induced was a win, and every appointment that I had gave me progressively worse news. The last few weeks of my pregnancy I was going to the hospital twice a week for Fetal Non Stress Testing and once per week appointments with Sandae, my midwife. I had bloodwork done weekly, and I also took my own blood pressure three times a day, and was put on bed rest. The concern was that I would develop Toxemia, and, because of my high blood pressure, that I would have a stroke, so we were all very cautious.
At every appointment I was asked if I was seeing spots, experiencing swollen feet (what pregnant woman doesn't?), or had headaches. If I experienced any of these, I was to go to the hospital immediately. The evening of June 24th I had a small headache, which was hardly noticeable, but there nonetheless. I took two Tylenol and went to bed early. I woke around 5am on the 25th and it was still there, so after consulting with Steve, we decided the most prudent decision was to go to the hospital. This was actually quite difficult for me as it was Matilda's first dentist appointment that morning. I put everything I might need if I had to be induced in a pile, hugged Matilda, shedding a few tears that I couldn't be with her, and wished her luck, and headed out to the hospital.
When I arrived at the maternity ward, they hooked me up to the fetal monitors and took my blood pressure (BP). Gus seemed to be in good health, but my blood pressure was still high - not new news... Not knowing how long I would be there, and still trying to get things wrapped up before my leave, I busted out my laptop and settled in. Around 11:00, with my headache still there and my BP still high, I was given a choice: 1) be induced immediately or 2) be admitted to the hospital for 24 hours for observation and to complete a 24 hour urine test. The test would show if there was protein in my urine - high levels of which mean you have toxemia. I had had many conversations with Sandae about the timing of delivery and the benefits of keeping Gus in utero as long as possible, so I opted for number two and phoned Steve to let him know that I would be staying overnight.
I'm not sure why, but the doctor and nurse seemed to think that after giving me the two choices, neither of which was I thrilled with, my BP would go down. I could have told them at 11:00 that that wasn't likely. They got me a room in the maternity ward and let me have some lunch, and I kept working. Around 3:30 they came to get me for another Fetal Non Stress Test. They took my BP again - which was still high, of course, and consulted with the doctor. At that point the doctor and nurse came in and delivered the news that I would have to be induced and wouldn't be allowed to leave the hospital.
At that point I just started to cry. I wanted Gus to have every advantage he could, and in my mind, that advantage would only be given to him if he was still in my belly. I felt like I had let him down. He wasn't coming early because of him, he was coming early because my body just couldn't keep up. I know the nurse and the doctor thought I was crazy. And don't get me wrong, I was miserable. The only thing I wanted more than not being pregnant, was for Gus to have another week to grow. But it was what it was. So I asked for an hour or so to get things in order. I called my Mom to let her know that that night was the night (she was on her way back from Webelos camp), called Steve to give him the laundry list of instructions, called Andrea to find out where she was so that we could leave Tildy with her, and let my co-workers know that time was up.
I was taken to labor and delivery and they started induction around 4:30pm. Shortly after the nurse told me that there was a woman that was going to have a C-section, so if I wanted an epidural, I would need to either do it right then, or would have to wait until after her surgery, as the anesthesiologist wouldn't be available. I had a lot of anxiety about it (needles, spine - who isn't freaked out by that?), and neither Steve nor my Mom had arrived, but I didn't want to risk waiting, so we went ahead with it. The anesthesiologist was great and everything went smoothly.
My Mom arrived shortly afterwards and Steve soon after her. Sandae also graciously came in on her day off. We all settled in for the wait. Fortunately, we didn't have to wait long. I think it was sometime around 8:45 or 9:00 Sandae decided it was time to push. I pushed probably half a dozen times, and Gus was born. I was so relieved. I was relieved that he was ok, that my pregnancy was over, that I didn't have to be up all night, and that we could move on with the next phase of our lives.
Gus was very small. I couldn't believe how tiny he was. Sandae took a look at my placenta and it was "thin and fibrous." It's been sent off to pathology, but I don't have the results back yet. Long story short, it was time for Gus to come. I had developed toxemia and he wasn't going to grow anymore. The best thing for both of us was for him to join us that day, and any longer may have resulted in harm to both of us. It was validation that I really needed.
Steve stayed overnight at the hospital with us on the very uncomfortable "bed" that they provide in the maternity rooms. After a very restless night, Steve left to pick up Matilda at Chris and Andrea's and run home for a few things. Then they came to the hospital for the introduction of Gus and Tildy.

Tildy loved Gus immediately. The exchanged gifts - Tildy got Gus a stuffed rhino and Gus got Tildy a Belle princess dress, and got their snuggle on. It was true love.
After lunch and trying on the princess dress, we took Gus for his first bath. It had been delayed because he was so small, they wanted to give him some time to eat and show some positive results on his glucose tests before they shook him up with a tubby. So Tildy and I stood outside the window while Daddy gave him his first bath. He didn't much care for it, until the hair washing part - which he loved.
Gus and I spent another night in the hospital while Dad took good care of Tildy at home, then we all went home the next day. Gus was 5 lbs. 1 oz. when we took him to his first doctor's appointment when he was three days old. He was super tiny, but a good eater, so the doctor didn't worry about him.
We are so joyous and grateful that Gus had completed our family. We adore him and are grateful for his health and his wonderful disposition.



No comments:
Post a Comment