Thursday, May 27, 2010

Well Taken Care Of

So, I know that Steve and I are "chopped liver" at this point, but I haven't written a post for quite some time, so I thought I would check in, both so everyone knows I'm ok, and for posterity :)

I'm lucky enough to have a very sweet husband and baby girl.  Last Saturday, I had already had a hair appointment scheduled.  So I got myself out of bed, showered, we took Tildy to have another billirubin test done and Steve dropped me off (still on narcotics - wasn't supposed to drive).  While they were waiting for me to finish, they did some running around and bought me these beautiful roses and some Mini's Cupcakes (the best cupcakes in Salt Lake).  It was so sweet.  Steve has taken really amazing care of me since I got home.  I'm not sure anyone can fully prepare for bringing a firstborn baby home.  Everyone tells you that you'll be tired, but that isn't the half of it.  The hormones are out of control, the worry can be all-consuming, all while dealing with the leftover pain of childbirth and the wonder of when my body is going to go back to normal.  It's something else... :)

We've been pretty lucky with Matilda.  She is adapting to feeding fairly well, she was sleeping 4+ hours at a time at night, and she put on 6 oz. in 3 days.  I will admit that I had an extremely difficult time with the light bed.  Tildy probably did better with it than I did.  It was painful for me to put my mostly naked little baby in a 1970's-looking blue suitcase with her eyes covered.  I was SO relieved when it was over.  We were given permission to stop using the light bed on Sunday morning. 

On Monday, after a long and taxing weekend, I woke up to feed Matilda.  I sat her up when she was done, to burp her, and she spit up milk... and blood.  Oh my gosh.  It was about 7:45am so I grabbed my phone and called the doctor, doing my best (but not very well) at keeping it together.  We got the answering service and they took my number, but said that the office would be open in 11 minutes.  I thanked her, threw on some clothes and we got in the car.  I was a wreck.  Thank goodness Steve was able to keep it together.  We got to the doctor's office, crying mother and sleeping baby in tow, and I asked if we could see the doctor, explaining what had happened.  They graciously put us in an exam room and he came to check on her.  In the meantime, they weighed Matilda and gave us the great news that she had gone from 5 lbs. 14 oz. to 6 lbs. 4 oz.  Woo hoo!  The doctor checked her out and assured us that 9 times out of 10 it's related to some difficulties in feeding.  For those of you that breastfed your little ones, you know what I mean.  Once again, I was very relieved.  I've spent the rest of the week trying to be a little more grounded and not so nervous...

We had a tough night with Matilda on Tuesday.  My Mom called on Wednesday morning and I begged her to come and take Tildy so that we could get some sleep.  Thank goodness for Moms.  She spent some time with Tildy and decided that the problem was most likely the diaper rash that she had developed the previous evening.  She also thought we should push the flip to make her less nocturnal, and tried to keep her awake.  Needless to say, we are still working on getting rid of the diaper rash, but we are getting her on a little more normal schedule.  Last night was a pretty good night.

One last note... the hormones are TERRIBLE.  I cry at the drop of a hat.  I am really looking forward to that part being over.  I'm pretty sure Steve is too.  The funny thing is that there isn't much behind the crying.  I just can't control it.  It's weird. 

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from you, glad you're alive and hanging in there. Woohoo on the weight gain, go mama!

    Oh, and... you remember making fun of me for not leaving him alone in the bedsuitcase? Miserable. Gald you guys made it.

    ReplyDelete